Las Vegas Casino Stoops To New Low, Sues Over 1,000 Mass Shooting Victims

MGM Resorts International just filed federal lawsuits against more than 1,000 victims of the worst mass shooting in the U.S. in an effort to avoid liability. MGM might want to hire a public relations person fast AF because this looks really bad. But, even if the company loses business, maybe the National Rifle Association will give it a boost and use their venue for its next convention.

The suits argue that MGM, the owner of the Mandalay Bay hotel and the Route 91 Harvest festival, cannot be held liable for deaths, injuries or damages that resulted from the mass shooting. The MGM is using a 2002 law passed by Congress for its lawsuit, according to the Review-Journal.

The company cited the 2002 law that gives immunity to companies that use “anti-terrorism” technology or services that can “help prevent and respond to mass violence,” the Journal reports.

The suit claims that the company cannot be held liable and any action against MGM parties “must be dismissed,” according to complaints filed Friday in Nevada and California.

“Plaintiffs have no liability of any kind to defendants,” the complaints argue.

The Review-Journal reports:

The company argues, the security vendor MGM hired for Route 91, Contemporary Services Corp., was protected from liability because its services had been certified by the Department of Homeland Security for “protecting against and responding to acts of mass injury and destruction.”

The lawsuit further argues that this extends to MGM since it is responsible for hiring the security company.

Debra DeShong, a spokeswoman for MGM, laughingly claimed  in a statement that this is really best for the victims .”Years of drawn-out litigation and hearings are not in the best interest of victims, the community and those still healing,” she said.

Las Vegas attorney Robert Eglet, who has represented several of the shooting victims, said the grounds of the litigation are “obscure” and “outrageous.”

“I’ve never seen a more outrageous thing, where they sue the victims in an effort to find a judge they like,” he told the Journal. “It’s just really sad that they would stoop to this level.”

On October 1st last year, a gunman opened fire in Las Vegas, leaving 58 people dead and 851 injured. And now, the victims are being sued.

Be best, MGM, be best.


Image via screen capture.