Police Taser And Arrest Man For Trying To Save His Child From House Fire (VIDEO)

MO Police taser man trying to save three-year-old child from house fire.

Why did police taser Ryan Miller and keep him from rescuing his three-year-old son from a burning house?. The boy died. Police should be held accountable. Photo by Meghan Townley via KHQA.

In a shocking display of heartlessness, police in a small Missouri town tasered a man who was trying to get into his burning house to save his stepson. Ryan and Cathy Miller had escaped from the fire through a back door. As Lori called 911, Ryan ran around to the front and kicked in the door. Right then, the police arrived and proceeded to restrain Ryan and stunned him with a taser three times as he struggled to get inside. By the time firefighters arrived, the fire was burning out of control. Three-year-old Riley died at his bedroom door.

“How could they be so heartless?”

Family members were horrified about the son’s death and the tasering. Cathy Miller’s sister told reporters:

“It’s just heartless. How could they be so heartless? And while they all just stood around and waited for the fire department, what kind of police officer wouldn’t try and save a three year old burning in a house?” said Emily Miller. “We’ve been going through pictures and he’s just smiling in every picture. He was just a happy, go-lucky kid.”

The state Fire Marshall is investigating the cause of the fire but doesn’t believe it to be suspicious. It started in a back room, where the Millers had fallen asleep watching TV on the couch. The fire blocked them from Riley’s room so they went out a rear door and raced around to the front. That was when the police arrived and immediately grabbed and stunned Ryan Miller with a taser. Soon after, firefighters arrived on the scene but the fire was so hot that a firefighter in full gear was not able to enter the home.

Police taser father and take him to jail while son dies.

The parents were both treated for minor burns, and then Ryan was carted off to jail. Riley’s grandmother, Lori Miller, was understandably distraught. She affirmed that the police had stunned Ryan with a taser as he tried to enter the house.

“He tried to get back in the house to get the baby,” Lori Miller said. “They took my son to jail because he tried to save his son.”

This is unimaginably cruel. Exactly what did those officers think they were doing when they restrained Ryan, and stunned him with a taser him three times? Why did they not help him try to save his stepson? What on earth are our police becoming?

How you can help.

The house and everything inside was completely destroyed. You can help the Millers if you feel so inclined. A fund has been set up for the family, including another son who wasn’t home at the time. Monetary donations can be sent to the Mercantile Bank  in Louisiana, MO c/o Ryan Miller or the Riley Miller fund. Clothing items are also being requested, go to this link and scroll to the bottom for specifics.

There is another thing that the Miller family needs that, sadly, we cannot provide. That is: answers and accountability of the officers who allowed a 3-year-old to die. I hope that they get both.

Here is the report from local station KHQA.